Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Middle-aged cranky

Have you ever lied about your age?  Shucks, that's a silly question now, was it?  

Come on, we all lie about our age!  But have you noticed that as we near what people call 'middle age', we tend to lie about it more?




As this upcoming birthday approachesa sense of fear enveloped my brain, though i am really not sure why.  I've been in my forties for a while now and I must say it's the best time of my life.  


I still continue to learn everyday, just like my high school and college years, but most of all, i am no longer afraid to say what I know.  I am stronger as ever (when the knees doesn't act up).  My golf swing is better (when my back doesn't act up). I can still shoot those threes and run the fast break (when i'm all alone and the lane is free).  I have a wonderful family who makes me happy (when i'm not cranky)  and amazing friends who doesn't get drunk (unless we all fall asleep on our chairs).  

So, why then do we lie about it?

Fortunately, the answer  hit me over a birthday dinner of a younger friend last night.  I lie about my age to friends and strangers because saying the real number would mean admitting that I am 'middle aged', and it sounds so ancient.  And it is admitting that I am no longer like them anymore, that I am closer to fifty than I am to thirty.  Oh, so close.  I have lived almost half of my life.... 

It's all a state of mind, middle age.   Everyday, we learn something new.  New experiences,  we meet new people (but some of them go).  The past is gone and we remember it and we learned from it.  And we may even have a few regrets over it, but it is gone.  Tomorrow is a new day.  So even though physically I am 46, middle age will never come as I still wake up to a new day everyday!  I am old enough to know better and young enough to do it anyway...

With this approaching 'new day', no more fear for me.  I will hold on to the fact that what I have learned from those years have given me more than I ever wanted and has shaped me into who I am today.  I would not trade them for anything.


So, I proudly admit I will turn 42 in a couple of weeks!  There, I said it out loud!

4 comments:

  1. This cracked me up: "I can still shoot those threes and run the fast break (when i'm all alone and the lane is free)."

    But, you still can't accept it, can you??? (that you're 46) hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.
    -Lucille Ball-

    Seriously... 46 ;-) Bata pa! Advance happy birthday !
    When is the blowout?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 42?!!! The thicker the hide, the larger the pride hahaha! nice blog pix though, particularly the masthead photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very entertaining and yet insightful. We can all relate except we can't take photos like you do.

    Today is a new day and if it fails to be, tomorrow is just around the corner.

    Keep blogging :-)

    ReplyDelete